Activity Categories According to "MTZ"

This forum is for discussion on the health benefits of exercise.

Activity Categories According to "MTZ"

Postby Anne-Marie » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:33 pm

Hi all,

:?: There always seems to be confusion about the activity levels so I hope this post helps.

Physical Activity Factor and Grams of Protein per Pound of Lean Body Mass

Sedentary; .5
Light activity (e.g., walking); .6
Moderate activity (1.5 hours per week); .7
Active (1.5 to 2.5 hours per week) .8
Very active (greater than 2.5 hours per week); .9
Elite athlete (or weight training five times per week); 1.0

Dr. Sears says on pg. 10 of "MTZ" "Keep in mind that people tend to overestimate their physical activity, just as they underestimate how much they actually eat. So here are some guidelines. If you walk 30 minutes a day seven times a week, then consider this light activity. If you work out three days a week for about 30 minutes a day, this would constitute moderate activity (this is about 1.5 hours per week of formal exercise). If you are working out five times a week for about 30 minutes (or about 2.5 hours per week), consider yourself active. If you do weight training at least three times a week in addition to working out for more than 2.5 hours per week, you are in the very active category. And finally, if you work out intensely twice a day, consider yourself an elite athlete".

The active category can be 1.5 hours of weight training up to and including 2.5 hours of weight training a week or working out 5x a week for about 30 minutes doing formal exercise.

When I initially began the Zone lifestyle, I wanted to know what the difference was between "very active" and "elite" because I was certainly doing enough exercise to qualify as an "elite athlete". I e-mailed Cara Hogue, a Zone trainer on the Zoneperfect site and she advised me that "the jump from very active to elite has to do solely with hours of weight training (60% or more of one rep max), not other activities." Cara Hogue also advised me in another e-mail that "the workouts you count to calculate protein needs are the weight workouts, not Tae-bo or yoga workouts".

She also said "use very active for weight training 2.5 hours per week, and elite for 3.5 or more hours per week (2.5 - 3.3 is generally very active)". So if I had increased my weight training and kept my other activities the same I could have moved up a category.

I also asked Cara Hogue about extra blocks for aerobics. She said "adding one block 1/2 hour before and/or 1/2 hour after intense aerobics exercise (depending on your eating schedule) or between exercise types will help stabilize your blood sugar and hormones, but will not throw off your eating".

I searched more of Cara Hogue's material on the Zone Perfect site and concluded from her posts that to get the extra block and not count it, one must be doing 45 minutes of intense aerobic exercise. Also, if doing weight training 5 times a week, you automatically get an extra block and you don't have to count it.

P.S. I know that this will not cover off everyone's individual activities so my suggestion is when trying to find the appropriate level pick a category that best suits you individually. Eat that number of blocks for a couple of weeks and monitor how you feel (ie are you tired, fatigued etc). Keep checking your measurements and muscle and fat on the body fat calculator to see if you need to increase a block (because you are losing LBM) or you need to decrease a block (because you have gained fat). The activity levels are all a fine-tuning process, just like adjusting carbs and fat are in the Zone. Not everybody's biochemistry is the same. Remember, that you don't want to overeat protein. Dr. Sears says "never consume any more protein than your body needs to maintain your lean body mass, but never eat less. Eating too little is to subject yourself to protein malnutrition".
Anne-Marie
Consultant

Postby carole » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:31 am

Anne-Marie, thanks for the post, it certainly has given me a better understanding of the activity levels, Carole :P
carole

Postby Anne-Marie » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:03 pm

carole wrote:Anne-Marie, thanks for the post, it certainly has given me a better understanding of the activity levels, Carole :P

Carole, please keep me posted on how you are doing with the higher amount of blocks.
8)
Anne-Marie
Consultant

Postby carole » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:52 am

Hi Anne - Marie, i will keep you posted, im feeling better, but i know im still not in the zone, but i guess it might take some more tweaking, i started the GLA supplement yesterday, will see how that goes. I will let you know as time goes on of my progress, thanks again for all the help, Carole
carole

Postby cduane » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Hi Anne-Marie, please clarify one point about the snacks before and after exercise. Do they count as part of your daily budget for blocks, or can you add those snacks on top of your daily budget? You seem to indicate that you can add two blocks a day in the case of intense aerobic exercise lasting 45 minutes. This wiggle room confuses me. Why wouldn't you spread out your daily blocks, and eat more fat at meals? Thanks, Charlie
cduane

Postby Anne-Marie » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:24 pm

cduane wrote:Hi Anne-Marie, please clarify one point about the snacks before and after exercise. Do they count as part of your daily budget for blocks, or can you add those snacks on top of your daily budget? You seem to indicate that you can add two blocks a day in the case of intense aerobic exercise lasting 45 minutes.

I believe I indicated that you can add 1 extra block if you do 45 minutes INTENSE aerobic exercise ie spinning, cardio kick boxing, running very fast etc. Walking would not fit into this category.

The block before exercise (if exercising first thing in the morning) would certainly count towards your daily totals. However, the block after the intense aerobics does not count (according to my research).

This wiggle room confuses me. Why wouldn't you spread out your daily blocks, and eat more fat at meals? Thanks, Charlie

One could indeed add more fat, rather than have the extra block. It is a personal choice.

Personally, I do not add the extra block after intense aerobics. However, with my 1 block snack prior to exercise I take 4 PGFO. 8)
Anne-Marie
Consultant

Return to Exercise